Sunday 12 December 2010

Tring Fluff

The is the first draft for the Tring game. What do you think?
After the fighting in West Somerset faded away no side was left with an advantage. The Royalist press feted Col. Dunbar as a Hero at the expense of Capt Cunningham Smyth of the BUF. This undermined relations between the BUF and the Royalists as the BUF
The King added insult to injury by getting one of Col. Dunbar’s Catholic companies moved to Bridgwater. The BUF in Bridgwater now under the command of Oliver Cunningham-Smyth ( the Captains younger brother) nearly mutinied when they heard this.
The Anglican League came off quite badly in the fighting, losing Axbridge. They now hope to take advantage of the BUF and Royalists mistrust and regain the initiative. They are looking for a new target.
The Somerset Freedom Fighters may have failed to take Cheddar, but they did cut the A38 from Churchill to Cross. They aim to use the split between the BUF and Royalists to their advantage.
The Royalist Catholic company took nearly two weeks to arrive in Bridgwater, as in the end they had to come by sea. This meant
they had no vehicles and couldn’t get any from the BUF, who claimed they had none spare.
The Royalist company was lead by Capt. Stanley Horne. He had fought with Col. Dunbar during the attack on Axbridge and had been promoted at the same time as the Colonel. Stanley Horne was now a pinup for the Royalist press, with his blond hair and blue eyes, looking out from under a red Carlist beret.
The SFF took advantage of the lull to retake Westonzoyland and positions on the Polden’s, overlooking Bridgwater.

Anyone looking at a map can see that the main road and railway from Bridgwater to Weston-Super-Mare crosses 4 rivers; the Axe, Brue, Huntspill and the Kings Sedgemoor Drain. Guarding all these bridges was a major drain on BUF and now Royalist forces in north Somerset.
The Anglican League have decided to try and clear the SFF from Shapwick Heath which is very close to Glastonbury. The areas under there control were getting squeezed and the Anglican League had to come out fighting.
The Anglican League had had one piece of good luck. The platoon left behind in Burnham on Sea had gone underground and was still in position even though the BUF now controlled the town. If the Anglican League could get them supplies and reinforcements a new front could be opened.
s version of events was very different from the Royalist one.

No comments:

Post a Comment